Friday, March 28, 2008

the revolutionary spirit(s)

from Sean O'Casey, The Plough and the Stars (1926)

(PETER and FLUTHER enter tumultuously. They are hot, and full and hasty with the things they have seen and heard. Emotion is bubbling up in them, so that when they drink, and when they speak, they drink and speak with the fullness of emotional passion [...])

PETER (hurriedly to the BARMAN). Two more, Tom!...(To FLUTHER) Th' memory of all th' things that was done, an' all th' things that was suffered be th' people, was boomin' in me brain....Every nerve in me body was quiverin' to do somethin' desperate!

FLUTHER. Jammed as I was in th' crowd, I listed to th' speeches pattherin' on th' people's head, like rain fallin' on th' corn; every derogatory thought went out o' me mind, an' I said to meself, "You can die now, Fluther, for you've seen the shadow-dhreams of th' past leppin' to life in th' bodies of livin' men that show, if we were without a thitther o' courage for centuries, we're vice versa now!" Looka here. (He stretches out his arm under PETER'S face and rolls up his sleeve.) The blood was BOILIN' in me veins!

No comments: